Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Childhood obesity

And, I'm not just talking about the kids you see on Maury who are 2 & weigh 100lbs because sometimes I think those shows are fake. There is no way in hell a mother actually feeds her 2 year old a gallon of milk, 20 pancakes & a pound of bacon for breakfast. Is there?

I know a child who is 9, 5'1 & weighs 160lbs. That is more than I weigh. He has low self esteem, his parents don't get along, his father picks on him & calls him names & he is now failing 4th grade. Basically, his life sucks. And, I'm not sure being obese is his biggest problem...

We were out to dinner a few weeks ago with him & his family. He wanted to order off the adult menu & I tried to convince him to order off the child's menu, but he shook his head, crossed his arms & said, "NO!". His parents let him order off the adult menu & his plate was piled so high with Mexican yummyness. He ate the entire meal & left not even a morsel. He helped J finish his meal! By the time he was done, his stomach was obviously full & bloated, but he still managed to eat dessert. (and finish my dessert, too) Why his parents allow this, I don't know. I've tried to tread lightly on the subject, but it's family.

I have always watched what my children eat & monitor closely their exercise. They are not overweight, but they are big girls. And, obesity runs in both my side & their father's side that I know I will always have to monitor this... That's my job...

So, why is it this poor, overweight child isn't better taken care of? Sometimes you just have to stop buying the candy, chips & donuts. It is hard to say no to your child, but it's going to be alot harder to deal with all of the issues that come with being morbidly obese.

I just don't what I can do to help without seeming like a jerk. Becuase, I know I'm a dick sometimes, but I try to wear a halo around family. Paranoid look here.

1 comment:

LadyHawk said...

Your just being concern, here's a suggestion from my own little one who loved to eat for awhile. Go to five and below and get a large exercise ball. Blow it up and he can have fun rolling on it and show how he can do sit ups while watching tv. Little K has lost allot of inches around his belly and never realized his fun was exercise.

Adios Amiga.